Custom Search

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bar Tabac





128 Smith St
Brooklyn, NY 11201-6258

Phone: (718) 923-0918


Menu

Every time I walk past Bar Tabac, it is packed. I always assume there will be a wait, and I never have the patience to even try for a seat. From the sidewalk I can hear upbeat music and often a live band jamming while folks eat or just hang at the bar.

I had the fresh calamari brochette for an appetizer and the truite amandine (almond trout, string beans, steamed potatoes, lemon, brown butter) for my main course. Why would someone kill calamari with hot lard I asked myself when my appetizer arrived? You deep-fried calamari lovers should be ashamed of yourselves. Nothing beats fresh calamari with a light sauce or maybe just a bit of lemon juice. The calamari brochette was a perfect summer appetizer.

I love fish and chips but often feel the same way about calamari as I do all seafood. If it is fresh then keep that shit out of the lard…tubby. The truite amandine at Tabac was definitely up to par, cooked and seasoned well. The string beans and steamed potatoes were a nice addition.

I have read reviews of Bar Tabac that criticized the service, but my server did a fantastic job. Maybe peer review and blogging makes a difference. After reading about their lackadaisical servers, Tabac decided to upgrade staff. In the age of technology, accountability is certain. Hint, hint…COMMENT!

Lastly, Tabac does not make the mistake of sacrificing food quality for décor and atmosphere.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Note: They only take American Express! So bring cash if that's not your card...

Gary said...

Well I'll be damned. I didn't know you had a blog!

I like the Bar Tabac burger - they will give you the pepper sauce for the steak au poivre if you ask for it. My service experience has been good - the last two times we've gone we've had the waitress that looks like Rose McGowan and she's been great.

My wife loves the mussels there.